Check out a list of dangerous foods for dogs and cats.
Your pet looks at you with those big eyes and you can’t resist: give him a piece of something you’re eating. Goodies, milk, meat and everything that attracts his attention.
And there’s no way, you took a little bite the first time and you’ll never get rid of that poor guy’s face asking for a little piece. But no matter how badly you do it, but out of pity for that little guy, you need to understand that you are responsible for the health of your pet and need to take care of his food.
It is essential to remember that they are different species from ours, so not everything that is considered good for humans can be considered good for animals. Therefore, the choice of a suitable and specific food for pets, which contains all nutrients in a balanced way, contributes to the quality of life of your dog or cat, providing a longer and healthier life.
To guide and alert dog and cat owners, Dr. Letícia Tortola, a veterinarian at Guabi PetCare and a specialist in dog and cat nutrition, alerts you with a list of prohibited foods for your pet . Check out:
One of the worst villains of pets, chocolate contains the substance theobromine (present in cocoa) that can intoxicate your dog or cat. The more bitter and dark the chocolate, that is, the more cocoa, the more dangerous it is for the pet. With ingestion, vomiting, diarrhea, hyperexcitation, increased heart rate, seizures and even death can be observed.
Some fish have thorns that can pierce your pet’s intestines. So it is worth avoiding giving this food to them.
Leftovers of our food
Dogs and cats need to ingest every day the essential nutrients for their health: amino acids, fatty acids, vitamins and minerals. These nutrients are also present in our food, but as dogs and cats need different nutrient proportions than man, the use of leftover food does not guarantee adequate intake of these nutrients, making pets more susceptible to the development of several health problems, such as serious nutritional imbalances and obesity.
Grape ingestion can cause acute kidney damage, a disease that compromises kidney function and can lead your pet to death. Veterinarians have not yet identified which substance is in the fruit that harms pets. In the first 24 hours, animals usually experience vomiting as the first clinical sign. They may also experience weakness, dehydration, reduced urine output and kidney failure.
Sweets can mainly lead your pet to obesity. In addition, they can increase the risk of the pet getting diabetes. Especially for cats and, less common for dogs, this relationship of glucose intolerance and increased insulin in the blood is observed with excessive weight gain.
These foods, when not cooked, can contain bacteria like Salmonella . These bacteria can be very dangerous to your pet’s health.
Adult dogs and cats do not produce high amounts of lactase, an enzyme that aids in the digestion of lactose in milk, and therefore develop food intolerance . When ingested, milk and its derivatives, such as cheese and yogurt, can cause abdominal pain, nausea and diarrhea.
Bread and pasta
Our pets suffer from a common problem, gluten intolerance. Gluten is present in many daily foods, such as breads, cakes and pasta in general, in addition to rice. These foods cause an increase in the production of gases, poor digestion and even cause flaking and skin problems.
Onion and garlic
Probably nobody intends to give garlic and onion to your pet, but these are ingredients that are part of our seasoning. It is common to season our food with garlic and onion, but for dogs and cats, these are toxic ingredients. Excessive consumption of onion or garlic causes changes in red blood cells (oxygen carrying blood cells) and the development of anemia, and in extreme cases, can even lead to death. Intoxication can occur by eating these raw, dehydrated, cooked ingredients or products containing onion or garlic powder. Cats are more susceptible to poisoning than dogs.
It seems obvious, but it must be stressed that your pet cannot even come close to alcohol. Remember that he is much smaller and weighs a lot less and just a sip of some drink can be enough to make him feel very ill, be disoriented and dehydrated.
Bones, especially chicken bones, can cause them to choke, suffocate, and may even pierce an internal organ.