The pets must have, like humans, a balanced diet. However, the type of food to be given, as well as the daily portions, creates some uncertainty in the owners. Sometimes common-sense practices are adopted that do not meet the nutritional needs of four-legged companions.
The diets of pets differ from human habits. Each animal must have a diet appropriate to its condition . This principle is fundamental to guarantee your well-being , preventing health problems and increasing longevity .
In this article, we give you some advice to provide adequate food for your dog or cat.
9 Tips for a balanced diet of pets
1. Opt for industrial feed
The food remains are not a good option to give to pets. Preferably choose industrial feed . This is developed by animal health professionals , therefore, it meets the nutritional needs of each dog or cat. It is therefore healthier and more balanced.
2. Ensure a diet rich in animal protein
Dogs and cats are carnivorous beings , so they need a diet rich in animal protein . Your digestive systems are prepared to digest meat. Therefore, changing this condition is an error that jeopardizes your well-being and your health.
3. Set a diet according to the condition of the dog or cat
Adopting a diet appropriate to the condition of the pets is essential. There are, however, specificities that must be taken into account when choosing the feed. Race, age, weight , health problems (such as diabetes or obesity) and whether or not you are sterilized are aspects to consider when purchasing.
4. Stimulate your appetite especially for the smell
The main criterion that dogs and cats have when choosing food is not taste. The smell is the main factor considered, followed by the appearance and texture . Only in fourth place does the taste taste .
Don’t worry if there is no variation in the canine feed. The dogs can eat the same food all their lives because they are monofílicos. What they like today will always like. In cats , the situation is different, since they prefer to vary their food and the sensations that they arouse. Supplementing dry food with wet food is a good option.
A tip to whet your companion’s appetite is to warm the feed slightly. In this way, it will release more odor , thus stimulating the desire .
5. Respect the recommended daily doses
Each animal has its nutritional needs, so you should always respect the recommended daily doses . They can be found on the food packaging. If in doubt, consult a veterinarian.
Cats, compared to dogs, need to snack more often during the day. You can eat up to 18 servings daily. So, within the recommended doses, always provide them with food.
6. Provide water
It is essential to give your bigeye clean and fresh water . Always place it in a visible and easily accessible place. Above all, you must be careful not to allow your pets to drink water from vases, toilets or puddles, as there is a high probability that it is contaminated .
7. Know the list of prohibited foods
Usually, as a way to pamper your four-legged companions, some mistakes are made . You should take into account that there is a set of foods that pose risks to the health of pets. That black list includes:
- Chocolate : It is highly toxic to the body;
- Onions and garlic : Cause anemia, as they destroy red blood cells;
- Fruits such as grapes or raisins : Can cause kidney failure;
- Sweets : Originate obesity and diabetes, in addition to compromising kidney function;
- Natural bones : They are dangerous for the animal’s digestive system. Its splinters can cause serious injuries, as well as choking;
- Milk : Causes diarrhea, as the digestive system is only prepared to digest lactose until 2 months of age;
- Carbohydrates present in foods such as bread, pasta and rice : They are difficult to digest by dogs and cats.
8. Don’t overdo snacks
It is not forbidden to pamper your four-legged companion. There are several snacks created specifically for pets. They are useful, above all, to strengthen the relationship with the owners . But don’t overdo it! Use these foods only as a way to present your pet for correct behavior.
9. Regulate taking supplements and vitamins
The vitamin supplements should be given only in case of need identified by the veterinarian. Excessive intake of these supplements jeopardizes the health of bigeyes.